:: Literal Impressions ~ October - December ::

Book: “The Hunger Games” Trilogy
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic AU
Opinion:
I was raved to about this series for weeks, by a girl friend. Admittedly, at first glance, I wasn’t too sure I’d actually like it – my sister had a similar reaction to the first few pages.
The same day I bought the fist volume, I wached the cult Japanese film “Battle Royale” at a friend’s, which incidentally, has a mutual component.
We’re introduced to one Katniss Everdeen, a resourceful and strong-headed young woman. From a very young age, Katniss has had to shoulder the burden of her family’s survival, upon her father’s death.
Her post-apocalyptic North America, now known as Panem is ruled by a fascist regime where twelve districts are forced to serve the Capitol, the city. Every year, each district has to give up two children, a male and female, to compete in the extremely cruel, televised event known as the Hunger Games. Each ‘tribute’ must fight for survival by killing all the other tributes. Yes, even children.
Katniss becomes the female tribute from District Twelve, unwittingly becoming, in the process, a rather troublesome problem in the Capitol’s eyes – and the fun has just begun.
To say that this series was riveting is to sell it disgustingly short.
At times, I found Katniss’ attitude a bit hard to accept, being so stubborn and a whole lot of paranoid. Although one could argue these as merely the by-products of her (self) upbringing. The characters are very well put together and I soon became familiar, if not attached, even to those of whom we do not get revealed much about their past.
I found myself enthralled in the futuristic and again, very cruel games themselves – even imagining myself competing in them, strategising along the way. Those closest to me might have an idea of what that might be like, or not. All I can say is that… I think I might enjoy them. **glint in eye**
The finale had me literally convulsing in grief, still with a little happiness, at the final page – which I found quite scary.
A sometimes brutal and often heart-wrenching series; I would openly say that it was the best, most compelling sci-fi series I have read in a while.
Eleven out of ten.

=======================================================

Book: “Teias de Sonhos”
Author: Anne Bishop
Publisher: Saida de Emergencia
Opinion:
Once again, I return to the world of the Blood. These people charged with the task of protecting their worlds and the weaker folk always provide an amazing ride for the imagination. Just the jewels that the blood are blessed with, enabling them to use the Craft, are a tantalizing facet of these interconnected realms Bishop has so vividly created.
This amazing anthology not only fills us in on the events after the cataclysmic events of "Rainha das Trevas" (En Title: Queen of the Darkness), but also proceeds to paint us a better picture of the past.
In the first count, (to my delight) we come to know just what perspired in Ebon Rih, after Lucivar came to be the ruler of the province. A tale of delicate seduction, mal intent and lots of self-deception.
Next, we're thrown back in time and shown just what happens when one commits the unthinkable act of challenging Lord Saetan Daemon SaDiablo beyond his limit of tolerance.
Following this insight, we're taken back to the 'present', finding Dhemlan just after the events in QotD. Jaenelle is no longer in control of the jewels she previously held and still recovering from the massive sacrifice that almost took her life.
In a turn of events we see a familiar, albeit minor, nonetheless evil return to paint some more discord for the SaDiablo family. How foolish these people are... **chuckle**
Unfortunately, my book had some major printing errors, due to which I couldn't yet finish the last forty pages, but the book was amazing, rapidly pulling me back into a world I'd been resisting without reason.
Like the back cover blurb, I very much agree this is a good introduction to the worlds of the Blood, introducing some new and old characters alike.
Excellent anthology – can’t wait to be able to finish the last story and see those whores get their comeuppance.

=======================================================

Book: “Everyone Worth Knowing”
Author: Lauren Weisberger
Publisher: Harper Collins
Opinion:
Bettina escaped her parent's vegan hippy life when she went off to college.
Years later, we find her stuck in a high profile banking corporation with her best friend Penelope.
In a spur of the moment outburst, she up and quits her job. Unemployment is rapidly reaping its rewards on her thighs and backside.
After her uncle Will pulls in a favour, she finds herself in a completely unexpected job. She literally gets paid to party and be seen
by the media. However, is the price of having her private life flashed across not only print but website articles, too high?
Is the loss of her friends and touch with her family worth all the glamour?
As usual, (it seems) with Weisberger, Bette ends up learning many a lesson along the story.
Keeping up the buzz that I got from "Chasing Harry Winston", I have to say that this book was just as entertaining, though I think I preferred CHW over this one, if only for the characters.
Still a great read and gives you a bit of inside into 'The Other Side'.
Recommended!

=======================================================

Book: “The Wee Free Men”
Author: Terry Pratchett
Publisher: Doubleday (Random House Childrens' Books - UK)
Opinion:
Life at the Aching farm, on the Chalk, is pretty average.
Tiffany Aching, however, is not your average nine year old. (By today’s standards.)
She makes fresh butter and cheese all by herself, watches over her brother
She also “...decided only last week” that she wants to be a witch. Laugh and, or giggle here at your own discretion.
When she sees strange little men bubbling up in the pond and her brother is almost taken by a monster in the same waters, Tiffany knows that strange things are afoot.
Then her brother is kidnapped and Tiffany may just be in way over her head as the culprit is none other than the Queen of the faerie kingdom.
Unfamiliar with Pratchett’s method of story telling, I was at first a bit stumped and indeed read three other books in between the first three chapters and the end.
The pictsies (little blue folk) are simply hilarious with their fear of big words and their crazy war mongering. However, these very small, but powerful folk are ever endearing with their Scottish accents and their obsession with stealing and drinking anything that appears interesting.
The world he’s created is at once fantastical and full of crazy (the funny kind), which serves it well. It was definitely not what I expected, having grown up with the weird cartoon of the late 90’s, “Disc World”. (I do wonder if they’re related – I would assume so, considering the name…)
Although I can’t exactly say that Pratchett’s writing or his world are the kind that draws me in as per my usual literal fare, I might actually attempt to follow Tiffany’s adventures as she becomes, no doubt, a very wise young woman.
It’s always nice to have something different in our arsenal and this gentleman’s creation is definitely nothing like my standard choice of books.
Nonetheless, I did enjoy it.
I give it a four out of five, if only for the fact that it didn’t grab me as much as I’d have liked.

=======================================================

Book: “The Last Vampire: Eternal Dawn”
Author: Christopher Pike
Publisher: Hodder
Opinion:
I once believed my dear Sita’s story to be very much over. So over, in fact, that the moment I found out about this continuation, I was very surprised.
I harboured strong doubts that even Mr Pike could manage to squeeze a whole new book into that universe - a story which in fact, spanned the lengths of two of its predecessors. My fears were put to rest.
Just as the story begins, any elephant memory like mine – or anyone who’s just finished reading the first six (three in the new Hodder editions, or two in the case of the “Thirst” series reprint) – will no doubt notice a few consistency errors. Remarks alluding to Sita’s powers or situations which she is affected, all contradict the extent of her strength by the end of the original saga. Then again – these might (?) be explained by the plot bridge between this book and the last.
All in all, it kept me going from start to finish as all of Chris’s books do. New enemies blow everything she’s faced to date, clear out of the water. Chris manages to create a believable link between the books, whilst providing through the same plot devices, some fresh perspective on past events. This book may attempt, to a minor extent, to undo some of the story I’d called my favourite vampire story of all time, but to me it doesn’t – since it makes sense in the way it flows, especially given the actual ending to “Creatures of Forever” (book 6).
I loved it and really enjoyed the light re-boot of sorts, of the saga. This book gives us a very dramatic ending. I, personally, would have saved one of the dramatic revelations for the upcoming eighth volume, but it does leave us hanging, beautifully, nonetheless.
Welcome back, Sita.

=======================================================

Comments

  1. Hello... Hello... LoLoL Jks!
    "The Wee Free Men" book sounds interesting. "Everyone Worth Knowing": Yeah, I have to agree that I like CHW much more, but then, I found this book really funny as well. I'm on a break from Juliet Marillier, but you'll never guess what I'm reading now (and am quite into, surprisingly)!! Wuthering Heights! I know, kind of weird, but I'm liking it so far. Anyway, good reviews as always. Keep up the good job!! :o) xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wee Free Men was definitely different, but funny.
    There is something veeerrryy wrong with you...
    XD
    Lyk, OHMYGAW!You and Bella will have so much in COMMON now!! Awesooooooome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

.: Optical Impressions ~ August :.

:: Literal Impressions ~ August ::

.: Optical Impressions ~ July 0.2 :.