.: Optical Impressions ~ July 0.2 :.

This dvd was sitting on my 'To Watch' shelf for the last three years.
I'd come down with a bad cold and yesterday, as an evening relaxation, I shoved it in the player.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised - after being bombarded with very mixed messages about this film.
This film was just as good as I was originally told (Thanks, sis! ^^) and more. Had I known the producer was J. J. Abrams himself, I would've had much more faith. I've never disliked anything this guy puts out with the exception of the television series "Lost", which, to be honest, I don't know whether I like, since I've never actually seen more than fifteen minutes, in between channel surfing.
After an official-looking message from the US government, we are treated with the beginning a home video.
You follow these two initial characters to the culmination of a farewell party for the camera operator's (and turns out, the rightful owner of the camera), brother.
Amidst the party, we're treated to some mild drama in which the person now filming, the party recipient's best friend, covertly captures. Shortly after, during a scene on a balcony, there is a sound of a colossal impact, shortly which a giant explosion is seen in the distance. Everyone frantically begins to reenter the building to take cover...
And the fun begins...

I thought this movie was quite believable and I rather disagree with a lot of critics.
Firstly - no-one, unless they've encountered a situation remotely similar to this, would know how they would react to such an event.
This critic proceeded to conclude that, rather unrealistically, the actors behaved as though they'd never seen a single monster and/or slasher movie in their life, acting partly clueless, and irrationally putting themselves in danger.
I for one have seen people in an emergency situation and they proceed to squeal and panic, regardless of how many examples of such events they've been treated to in the media.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, but I believe my dvd to be faulted and three afters being purchased I think I will just look for one of the 8 dollar copies I've seen floating around, although I wouldn't mind acquiring the two disc edition.
For once, I would love to see this film in Blu-Ray. I reckon the type of filming technique used in the film would look amazing and the movie as a whole, even better, on a blu-ray system. I shall enquire with a friend whether they have a copy and/or rent one out and should it prove to be as good as predicted, I may purchase a copy of the blu-ray edition as well. ^^


"D'awwwwwwwwww.... Ain't 'e cute!!?" XD


I'm most intrigued as to the next big thing to come out of Bad Robot (assuming that they'll be doing the movie with Mr. Abrams), after coming across the initial promotional site, plus some comments out there.
I agree with one comment, that it is kinda creepy.
Reminiscent of Cloverfield, only for the 'military'-like style implying top secret stuff, but the similarities end there. For now.
Abrams clearly stated that whilst they're playing with the idea for a Cloverfield sequel, (have been since barely a year after the first's release), apparently this will not be it.
I'm curious to see whether he's just torturing us.
All I know is that a regular 'monster film' format just ain't gonna fit the Cloverfield universe and no amount of hype will cover that disappointment.




Seriously?!
WHERE IS THE ANY KEY!!!?







PS: I will give a cookie to anyone who figures out how to work this site. As in - actually access something. Anything! We needs moare informashun!

Comments

  1. I am still a little skeptical, but I was never one for monster movies. I should probably just watch it though just to see what the hype was about.

    Oh and I LOVE my influence on you, you're quoting Homer Simpson without even realising it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait... **reads back over**
    You mean the 'any key' bit? LOL
    Epic. :)

    And yeah - I'm going to lend you the dvd. I really liked it. It was awesome. I was really sad at the end but... considering the impact it gave me at the end - I reckon if I'd seen it in the cinemas, it would've been epic.

    Now, a friend has commented he got motion sickness in Blair Witch, (similar shooting style), and I agree that maybe in a cinema setting it would too. On that note, I reckon only if you were RIGHT near the screen. Otherwise I'd have gotten sick (as would he) in the flying stunts in Avatar.
    I deem it rather safe to watch on any tv screen.

    Should there ever be a marathon in which the possible sequel is played back-to-back with this one, I'm SO there. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

.: Optical Impressions ~ August :.

:: Literal Impressions ~ August ::

:: Literal Impressions ~ October - December ::