:: Literal Impressions ~ July ::

Book: “Poison Study”
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Publisher: MIRA Books
Opinion:

At first I thought this book was going to be boring.
It has a somewhat more relaxed feel than what I'm used to. I couldn't have been more wrong.
It's speed isn't anything to discriminate it for. In fact - I rather welcome a book that will maintain my interest, without depriving me of the power to think about life outside its pages. (Eg. Queen of the Damned) Poison Study simply has a slower tempo, but I think that's a false feeling as it eats away at you as the substance in its title, rising to a small burning that draws your interest in.

In this book, we are introduced to Yelena, a young woman condemned to hanging for a crime of murder. Though, was it?
As she gets a lucky break, we become aware that things aren't exactly black and white - there is more to Yelena's terrible transgression to Ixia's Code than other characters may think.
In this lukewarm thriller, surprises are just around the corner and when you believe a character has been painted to their true exterior, you are soon shown how appearances can be deceiving.
Ironically enough, it is a tale of espionage and secrecy, so it is not so surprising that its characters are so much more deep than they first appear.

I honestly thought I was going to be disappointed, but in the end it was a mixed bag of half-granted wishes, designed to twist the story from under those that maintain those 'oh so human' hopes.
I immediately went out and purchased the other two books in the trilogy as well as the two volumes currently out, in Snyder's Glass trilogy. These appear to be set in the same world, though in the neighbouring territory of Sitia, which we are introduced to in Poison Study.

All in all, though it wasn't the 'Omg, omg, must read now!" of my usual fare, I do give this book 4 1/2 stars.
Every afternoon, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it and find out what happened next.
Safe to say, it holds its ground.

I decided to read other books to keep from devouring the trilogy too quickly.

Over and out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

.: Optical Impressions ~ August :.

:: Literal Impressions ~ August ::

:: Literal Impressions ~ October - December ::