:: Literal Impressions ~ June ::

Book: “Bone Crossed”
Author: Patricia Briggs
Publisher: Atom UK
Opinion:
Once again, we join the ever charming Mercedes, the VW Mechanic of the Tri-cities.
In this volume, we see a softer side of Mercy's, as she becomes attached to a little boy.
Mercy also manages to enrage the queen of the local vampire seethe, and Marsillia is one ruthless cookie. I really enjoyed the climax of this book but managed to stretch the book over a week so as not to finish it too quickly.
I especially loved the showdown with the whole vampire seethe in attendance.
No matter how often I’m reminded that in Brigg’s creation, the vamp’ers are truly evil, yet how can it be so, with someone like Stefan? Who could resist liking him, if only for his obsession with Scooby Doo.
I do love this series.
“Gimmie… Gimmie more… Gimmie, gimmie more…”
=======================================================

Book: “The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner – An Eclipse Novella”
Author: Stephenie Meyers
Publisher: Atom UK
Opinion:
After two years of having read the full Twilight Saga, I was a bit reserved as to how I would take to this book.
Also, seeing as it was set from a vampire's perspective and not the ever familiar Bella, it was bound to give a different impression.

At first it was weird for the very reason that the narrator was a vampire - newborn with a slight case of amnesia, at that. Then I started to get into it and I lost myself in the race against time to the concurrent conclusion with Eclipse.
The funniest thing, sad as it may be, was my fool's hope that there might be something of a happy ending for Bree, right 'til the end.
Which was just silly; since I already knew she died at the end of the novella, if only by the title. However, I wasn't one hundred per cent sure, as we never got her name in Eclipse, (to my knowledge), so I was hopeful she might get there.
At a few pages from the end, my hopes had dwindled away.
I was truly sad for her - which just makes me salivate for the possibility of actually seeing Her (Victoria) ripped to chunks in the film.

I really enjoyed this book and it was far too short... I'm considering re-reading all four books after the film, since there will be a considerable break before the first half of Breaking Dawn (Xmas 2011).

Also to note is the apparent inclusion of the novella's plot-line in the Eclipse movie. I'd rather have seen it an extra short-film in the special features of the 2 disc set. Or perhaps even the collector's edition.
=======================================================

Book: “Silver Borne”
Author: Patricia Briggs
Publisher: Atom UK
Opinion:
I broke down. I couldn't wait three to four weeks to order it from the states.
So I got the British print.
Oh so worth it.
I still spread it over a full week but a couple of nights I was reading well past midnight.
I loved this book. I really do enjoy reading about the fae and all the intricacies of their magic.
This was the volume I'd been waiting, after accidentally spoiling for myself of a major event,
on Wikipedia.
There was a beautiful story of ages past and we were also treated to the first glimpse (if I’m not mistaken), of Ol’ Siebolt Adelbertsmeiter’s true form. Like, wWHOa… Stunning.
I loved the further character development to Adam's wolf-pack (the only one I like) and I truly adored the sweet ‘old-romance’ given a second chance, I thought that was a brilliant move on the author’s part, seeing as how certain events leading up to this book gave the impression of an impending tragedy. Most excellent!
Every new Mercy Thompson novel I read, excluding the second, becomes my favourite.
Go Patricia! She is my favourite urban-fantasy/current author, since she deservingly shares the podium with Kelley (Armstrong).
Have I mentioned I'd kill for a tv series on Mercy?
^_^

Comments

  1. Heya! Ok so, I'm definitely intrigued by the Patricia Briggs Mercy series. You really make it sound good, so I'll have to give it a go as soon as I've finished my ever-growing pile. :o)
    About “The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner – An Eclipse Novella”, I have my reservations. As you know, I read the other four a long time ago, so I don't know if I'll get into it as much as you did.

    Good job on the reviews! ***

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia Briggs = Teh Shiz
    :)
    I think you might like the series. It's got a bit of romance, but nothing "Bills & Moon".
    My books ain't going anywhere - so, yar.

    As for Bree's Short Second Life... It's up to you. You're not missing much, and yet... There was an interesting 'undercurrent' revealed in the book that I certainly don't recall being alluded to in the Eclipse novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... might check it out. See if I get into it. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

.: Optical Impressions ~ August :.

:: Literal Impressions ~ August ::

:: Literal Impressions ~ October - December ::